Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Introducing Deborah Murphy from Lincara Vintage





First and Last Name: Deborah Murphy
Business Name: Lincara Vintage
Websites: www.etsy.com/lincaravintage
Years in Business: my shop officially opened on 2nd of November 2011

My name is Deborah and I live in a small town in Stirlingshire, Scotland, thirty minutes drive from Edinburgh to the East and Glasgow to the West. I am married to Alan and we have two teenage daughters. I like nothing better than spending time with my family, walking in the woods or on the beach at St Andrews with my dog Molly and, of course, searching for vintage treasure!

When did you become interested in vintage jewelry?

I first became interested in vintage jewelry when I was in my early twenties. My mum took me to an antiques fair in Stirling as a birthday treat and bought me an Art Deco necklace and a Stratton compact with two swans on the lid. Twenty years later (I'm showing my age!) I still treasure both!

How and when did you get involved in selling Jewelry?

I started selling jewellery on the 2nd of November 2011, the day I added the first item to my Etsy shop.

Do you have a particular sale that stands out for you?

My first Etsy listing stands out because it was also my first sale. The second I listed the Trifari pineapple brooch it disappeared - I thought I'd deleted it by mistake but it had sold. Unfortunately that hasn't happened since!

Do you belong to any of the online Collectors discussion groups?

I recently joined the Jewelry Ring group.

Do you have a favorite jewelry book?

Can I have two? My favourite books are 'Vintage Costume Jewellery' by Carole Tanenbaum and 'Costune Jewellery' by Judith Miller . The photos in both are stunning!

What is your favorite era or style of jewelry and do you have an example of a favorite piece?

My favourite era has to be Art Deco.




What do you most enjoy about selling vintage jewelry?

For me, the most enjoyable part of selling vintage jewellery is the communiction and friendships you build with customers and fellow vintage sellers. I LOVE it when someone contacts me to let me know that they will be wearing the rhinestone earrings they just purchased from my shop on their wedding day, that their husband in New York will be opening the cufflinks on Christmas morning or that the mother-of-pearl set is a gift for their parent's 30th wedding anniversary. I am always delighted and honoured when people share their stories with me!

How do you most benefit from being a member of VJSE? What is your favorite method of promoting the VJSE Team and your shop?

I have only been a member of VJSE Team for a short time, but already I am aware of the strong sense of community. My favourite method of promoting is Twitter, even though I haven't fully worked out how to use it yet!

Social Media Links:
Twitter - twitter.com/lincaravintage
Facebook - facebook.com/lincaravintage



5 comments:

Zephyr Vintage said...

Nice interview! Glad to get to know more about you.

Jesse said...

Wonderful Interview...

Unknown said...

Great interview!! So wonderful to have someone from Scotland on our team. We Grants are very happy about that. Thank you for sharing. Jan VintagObsessions

nancy said...

Very nice to hear more about you, Deborah!

Bill Guest said...

great article nice to get to know ya!! i am tweeting this now!!